Dr. A. Smyth has worked closely with a variety of specialists over the years to help devise safe and effective ways to relieve chronic pain.
The chronic pain that Dr. A. Smyth deals with is musculoskeletal. It is usually scar tissue or fibrotic muscle that forms following an injury, motor vehicle accident, post-surgical complications, and surrounding arthritis.
In order to change chronic pain in soft tissue the treatment protocol involves 4 steps:
- Cold laser therapy to help soften scar tissue.
- A flexion distraction table to help change postural muscles and remove mechanical joint-spinal pain.
- Neuroproprioceptive work to improve poor muscle memory patterns and balance.
- Specific rehab exercises.
Conditions that respond well include the following:
- General: repetitive strain injury / fibromyalgia / carpal tunnel syndrome / rotator cuff tear / tempo-mandibular joint problems
- Injuries: ligament and tendon tears / contusions / fractures with associated soft tissue injuries / subluxations / facet joint syndrome
- Inflammatory: tendonitis / bursitis / myositis / plantar fasciitis / synovitis
- Degenerative: osteoarthritis / discogenic and vertebrogenic radiculopathy / chondromalacia patella / calcifications (e.g. bone spurs) / spinal stenosis
Treatment schedule is usually 3x/week for 6-8 weeks.